Old September 9th 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Building wheels on tubeless rims using tube

On 9/9/2020 3:17 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 9 september 2020 om 02:58:37 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 9/8/2020 8:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Velocity recommends 120nm (+/-10). '23' on the Park scale is only 95nm.

You mean 95 kgf, I think.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Newtons please.

Lou

I agree, Newtons makes much more sense. The SI system is extremely logical.

When teaching dynamics here in the U.S. I had to explain "pounds force"
vs. "pounds mass," and that confusing them could lead to answers being
off by over 30 times. I had to explain the silliness of naming a
conversion factor "g sub c" thereby causing inevitable confusion with
the acceleration of gravity "g." I demanded that students strictly keep
track of units of measurement to avoid the above confusion.

I sang the praises of the SI system, and still do. I said it was so much
more sensible to use different units for Force and Mass: kilograms for
mass, Newtons for force or weight. Why couldn't Americans be that logical?

Then I found that most Europeans were using kgf = "kilograms force."

:-/

--
- Frank Krygowski