Old September 10th 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Fires and smoke

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 5:23:11 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 17:53:44 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://news.immitate.com/2020/09/09...-video-kgo-tv/

Yeah, it looks bad. Starting at about 2PM, it became sufficiently
dark in Santa Cruz for inside lighting to be required. The sky was
dark red/orange. It felt much like a few minutes before sundown or
prior to a solar eclipse.

Despite the dark sky, the air is safe to breathe:
https://cfpub.epa.gov/airnow/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&mapcenter=0&cit yid=570

Animated view of the air/cloud/smoke flowing across California:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OR&l ength=60
This works best during daylight hours. It shows an animated
satellite photo of the smoke moving over California from NW to SE.
Band=GeoColor Loop=60 (or higher)
The white stuff are mostly clouds and fog. The pink or beige stuff
is smoke from numerous fires. A larger view:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=60
Notice that California is getting considerable second hand smoke from
the fires in Oregon.

Pay back from Oregon. We're having apocalyptic fires in southern Oregon and some in nearby counties. We've had unprecedented property damage with two towns burned-down between Medford and Ashland.

I'm looking for the horsemen -- or aliens -- to descend out of the orange brown shelf cloud hanging over my house. https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/06...3539828500.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.