Old September 11th 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Fires and smoke

On 9/11/2020 10:41 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 7:54:42 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/10/2020 9:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 9:32:51 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 9/7/2020 5:16 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 4:48:45 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 3:25:09 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:28:44 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday. I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot stand the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The replacement for it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the unbearable heat of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the Lemond. I'm still missing one wire but I should have most of them installed and only need to install the lead from the terminal block to the battery when it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen any up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like the Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay published) shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.
Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I will put off the wiring to another day.

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in. It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

Much the same ~50 miles south of you. My wife says "there's a little bit
of ash falling" outside.

For decades in Oregon, I came to understand that there were "gray" (sky)
months and blue months. Recently the annual pattern seems to include a
"brown" month. Ick.

Mark J.

Its incredible. My favorite riding spots in Clackamas County are going up in flames. They have evacuation orders in parts of Oregon City, which is just down the road. The inside of my house smells like a smouldering camp fire, and I had to wipe ash off my computer screen because I left the window open. What a year.

-- Jay Beattie.

I mentioned this earlier. Now there's an official arson
investigation:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/11/oregon...remains-found/

Morning news. I'm engulfed by a fog-bank of low hanging smoke. https://tinyurl.com/y4grbml3 Even the Eagle Creek fire, which was started by a dope with fireworks and burned-out the Gorge, didn't produce nearly this much smoke.

I don't doubt one or more of the over 100 fires in the West were arson caused. I know for a fact that many were human caused -- like the dope with the RV or the gender reveal party, etc. People are dopes and cause fires -- which is well known. https://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/f...mokey11x17.jpg Interestingly, my wife was a Forest Service firefighter in the Olympic National Forest. She'll be in charge of the garden hose when the flames start marching up through the second growth forest down the hill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPCS...cliffordpaguio

-- Jay Beattie.

We're a big and perhaps all-too-diverse nation. As I often
note, we have one of everything:

https://www.wmal.com/2020/09/07/virg...-while-biking/

With any luck the weirdo bicyclists among us will stop
before arson.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/