Old September 14th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Living on my bike for 10 weeks now and f*cking exhausted

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 2:44:12 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

People who ride around the world bivouac outside of metropolitan areas or use hotels and hostels in metropolitan areas -- or rely on the kindness of others. This is a fun read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Man-Who.../dp/0593066987 He rode all around the world without incident and then got mugged in some seedy motel in Louisiana. MAGA!

Thanks! I will. Reminds me of "Miles from Nowhere". She and her husband rode around the world. Then she got hit by a car and killed back home in santa barbara while training for a triathalon.

I didn't actually care for the text of the book, but whatever. The one I liked was the one about the group of 20-somethings riding across the USSR. "Off the Map". Filled me with questions about Vladivostok - who lives there, what is the culture, etc, and left me with my understanding of the USSR.. (There are two kinds of people, basically: soviets and russians. Soviets have blonde hair and dainty noses, and run things. Russians have dark hair and disappear in the middle of the night. There is nary a russian family in the land which has not had a father, an uncle, a brother disappear in the middle of the night.)
But it's the photos of Vladivostok that made me long to go there someday.