Old November 19th 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Discs

On 2017-11-18 18:22, John B. wrote:

[...]

... Like the hose clamps to keep the front fork bearings from
falling off?

That hose clamp works poifectly.

But more to the point $10 for a tee shirt? That is (last time I
checked the exchange rate) 330 baht for a tee shirt? Absurd, I
buy tee shirts for 100 baht each, six for 500 baht.

We can get them for that price as well. However, then the collars
wear out faster and become floppy. Also, I need 100% cotton and of
good quality. Not something super-thin that unravels at the first
brush with a blackberry bush.

Do you only ride on 80 degree days? A cotton t-shirt is probably the
worst base-layer imaginable -- particularly an all cotton t-shirt.

I ride in cotton T-shirts between 40F and 110F. Below 40F I carry a
lumberjack shirt in a pannier but sometimes I don't use it. Mostly for
long downhill sections because my lower back is not so great and cold
can hurt it.

Cotton really shines on hot summer days: Make it soaking wet and it'll
provide evaporative cooling for at 1/2h.

If clothing contains any sort of artifical materials (at least the ones
I tested so far) I develop skin rashes. That is one of the reasons for
not wearing a hydration pack anymore and equipping both bikes with the
same model of panniers.

My base layer yesterday and today is wool -- although I use polypro a
lot (almost always for skiing). Poly pro is better for wet weather
because it dries faster.

100% natural wool would be ok for me as well but 5-10mi into the ride
I'd start sweating profusely.

Unless you have a metabolic disorder, I doubt you would be sweating that hard when its 35F or below, and if you did sweat, wool wicks a lot better than cotton -- but more importantly, wool traps air and stays warm when it is wet. As a base layer, cotton is like wearing a wet washrag.

I just did a 30 mile spin with probably 3K climbing around the West Hills in a wool base layer, a winter poly jersey and a vest -- which was a perfect mix for a 35F-ish dry day. Unzipping the vest kept me from sweating too much on the climbs, and zipping it back up kept me warm on the descents. My wool base layer got wet, but it stayed warm. I think poly would have wicked better. I also had my ear-warmer.

I think layering is an art form, particularly when it is raining, and you want to do a long ride.

-- Jay Beattie.