Old December 19th 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Something I read in the News

On 12/18/2018 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 12:18:29 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It's still true that lots of businesses - agriculture and everything
else, from lawn care to manufacturing - want cheap labor. There must
be thousands of businesses owned by people all across the political
spectrum who depend on people with questionable papers who are
willing to work for less.

Here in Iowa every year or two we get a story about a chicken or pork processing plant being raided by the Immigration department. 100% of the plant workers are illegal immigrants. And 90+% of the small town the plant is in is also illegal immigrants. The plant gets shut down and fined maybe. And the town dries up and blows away. There are 100s of meat packing plants in the Midwest. They have a few hundred to a thousand or so employees. All are illegal immigrants. Except the bosses, they are white Americans. So if you eat meat, or fruit, or vegetables in the USA, rest assured that an illegal immigrant touched your food.

Within the past few months, we had exactly that situation within my
personal riding area, maybe 20 miles from my home.

It would be interesting to learn how the owners came to operate so
illegally. I suspect they found they couldn't match the low costs of
their competitors who were hiring cheap illegals, so they had to choose
between losing Wal-mart and major grocery chains as customers, or hiring
their own cheap illegal immigrants.

Just a guess, of course. And I suppose that system is so widespread now
that tracing the roots would be difficult and pointless.

--
- Frank Krygowski