Old January 17th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:02:29 -0800 (PST), jbeattie

On 2017-01-04 22:55, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:59:28 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Thorn.../dp/B000BMT2TM

I never looked back. Reviews are mixed and sometimes they do have poor
valve attachment. Also, some are thick only towards the running surface
and that is less protecting than thick all around.

Thanks. I should probably get something like that instead of the
cheap tubes that I've been buying. Note that the cheap tubes seem to
leak without any riding. I've built wheels, applied pressure, and
watched the pressure drop slowly over a period of several days. The
leaks are small, difficult to find, tricky to plug without a patch,
and very irritating.

Yup. Standard bicycle tubes are usually junk. Would you accept it if you
had to pump up the tires of your car every two weeks? Yet most cyclists
think this is "normal".

I prefer pumping up tyres on my road bike every couple of weeks to
riding a slug.

I don't mind topping off my tire pressure daily just to be sure.
Admittedly a bit anal but part of my usual get ready for my ride routine.
The idea of two pounds worth of tubes to avoid putting air in my tires
doesn't parse at all.

That's only a very pleasant side effect for me, not the core reason. The
main reason is that I never get flats with thick tubes despite several
required offroad stretches on my road bike. Unless a side wall blows but
I hope it's just a matter of time until I find road bike tires with
better side walls and correct size (not undersized like Gatorskins).
Took me almost two years for the MTB but now I am pretty happy there.
Especially since those also happen to be the less expsnive tires (from
Asia).

What good does it do to be 2% faster on a ride when you are 20 miles
from home and ... PHSEEEOOOOUUU ...?

[...]

I think I rarely get more than a flat per year if that and when I do we're
talking 10 minutes to replace a tube. It's not the idea of 2% faster,
it's carrying all this extra weight and suffering this poor performance to
prevent something that rarely occurs.

Joerg is content riding heavy, dead tires, even on the road. Some people are like that. I used to ride with a guy who would always carry a back-pack filled with tools. It was penance for some undisclosed sin -- or original sin. Who knows. http://tinyurl.com/zmcjfcl I don't recall him every using one of the tools, nor did I ever see inside the backpack. Judging by its size, I think he had a torch and granite surface plate, just in case he needed quick frame repair.

-- Jay Beattie.

Sort of like a bike helmet. One doesn't expect to need it but if one
does then it might help :-)

(I couldn't resist temptation :-)\
--
cheers,