Old January 9th 04, 07:06 AM
Sierraman

Default Mountain Lion kills a biker out on trail

"Lindsay" wrote in message

Uh, to keep it on topic, I heard they were racing.
--------------

Mountain Lion On Loose After Fatal Attack
Woman Is Also Attacked

POSTED: 6:05 PM PST January 8, 2004
UPDATED: 6:40 PM PST January 8, 2004

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. -- One mountain biker is dead and another
critically injured after two attacks by the same mountain lion.

On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in
southern Orange County came across an abandoned mountain bike.

The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person.
While they were walking down a hill, a female biker was attacked by a
mountain lion on her face and neck.

Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the
missing bicyclist, who had been mauled to death.

The woman who was attacked is in critical condition at a local
hospital.

As night fell, park rangers were trying to flush out the mountain
lion.

Officials said that they initially were trying to capture the animal,
but because it keeps it is "very, very aggressive," they are now
considering it for termination.

The animal was described as a 150-pound mountain lion.

My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa about
a half mile away. In the last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions shot
and killed in Iowa. They say they are migrating there because of all the
deer. We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my
favorite rides. A girl was killed jogging north of here near highway 49
years ago. Great, now I need to put that in the back of my mind again.

B-