Old May 24th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

From: "Jon Kennedy"
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:55:24 -0000
Subject: Staff Night Out (5/30) -- Gray Area Conversation --

Come join Justin and Jon next Wednesday at the Redhook Brewery in
Woodinville for the fourth BBTC Staff Night Out.

At this pub night we want your feedback on what our policy on gray
trails should be. A gray trail is one where the land owner informally
allows us to maintain, build or use trails on their land, but there
is no formal written policy. Sometimes they like us there to keep the
meth heads and dumping out, but it is a "don't ask, don't tell" type
thing. Should we ignore gray trails, encourage their use, try to shut
them down, support their maintenance? We want to know what you think.

This is easy. The land owners have a problem, the bike riders keep the
problem to a minimum level, or eliminate it altogether. Don't ask, don't
tell.

The land owner might turn around tomorrow and decide that crack heads are a
better choice for whatever reason. No matter what policy is devised now, the
land owner has the final say -- assuming we are discussing private property.

Bottom line, you should not be there, but if nobody is objecting, take care
to not get hurt and then turn around and sue somebody.