Old February 28th 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

You've not shown that. YOU reject it but you're hardly
objective, or that civilised given your penchant for profanity.

What constitutes a superior ethos? Just one thing. The
judgment of your superiors.

Well, I think I am superior to you ...

I guess you think the opposite.

I'm happy to be judged by others based on what I've written here ... are you ?

When choices conflict, and the merits of the activities are

similar, then what is needed is compromise. Something I suggest you
consider.

I have compromised, by allowing cyclists to have their own
trails separate from hiking trails, something Mr. Vandeman would never
permit.

It's not your decision to make Ed ... you don't own the resource.

How ? That's a ludicrous statement. I don't want to go base
jumping but I am fully supportive of others' rights to do so if they wish..
I'm not promoting an activity, I'm promoting freedom of choice.

"It amounts to the same thing. I want others to do what I do because it is
safe and fun. It will not injure or kill them." - Ed Dolan

You are clearly missing the point ... suggest you go back, re-read and think some more. Permitting others to make a free choice does not equate to promotion.

I was almost tempted to let this slide as it's so

ridiculous. When you tackle someone on the American Football or Rugby
fields you are doing what you are supposed to do. It does sometimes result
in injury. You are NOT intending to fall off a mountain bike. That
just happens sometimes.

However, the statistics don't lie ... there are way more serious

injuries from American Football and Rugby (and many other sports) than mountain
biking.

Statistics lie all the time because they never precisely
measure what they purport to measure. Reports from the field are what matter and
they prove that cycling on hiking trails is extremely dangerous. This is glossed
over by the mountain biking community so that even kids, women and the elderly
are encouraged to go mountain biking. The only ludicrous one here is
you.

Well, all the "reports from the field" that your pal Vandeman can come up with equate to a death rate of 0.00123 per million miles travelled ... making mountainbiking a pretty safe endeavour. Even the reports from your supporters don't support your proposition.

However, you are quite right to compare mountain biking to
rough contact sports. Hiking on the other hand has never been considered any
kind of sport as far as I know. It is simply an actively, good for body and
soul.

Sport is good for body and soul ... I suggest you try it. Not everyone wants to amble slowly ... perhaps you have forgotten what it is to be young ?

Separate trails for cyclists are the ONLY solution. I do not
want cyclists on my trails anymore than you want motorcyclists on your trails.
Sparsity of use has nothing to do with it. Hikers and cyclists are DOING
different things on the trails and in fact are there for DIFFERENT purposes.
Therefore, different trails are called for.

They are not yours !!!! Nor mine for that matter. Cyclists and hikers are participating in a recreational activity. There is only such much resource to go around. Therefore, they are going to have to SHARE sometimes ! Not all the time, but sometimes.