Old March 1st 14, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

This past March 22 marked the day Sovich decided he couldn't take it
anymore. Over the forty-five minutes that it usually takes him to
hike up the canyon with his dogs, 17 mountain bikers came by. "They were
all polite," he remembers, "and there wasn't a question of either me
or the dogs being in danger. It was what this kind of use was going
to do to the canyon over time.

Ah, at last, we can cut to the chase. The issue has very little to do with mountainbikes vs hikers ... if there were 17 hikers also on that trail they would have caused similar levels of erosion.

I note also that this guy concedes that he did not feel threatened or endangered.

There are always saps in the world who do mind being pushed aside provided it is done with politeness. Mr. Vandeman is the expert on who causes what kind of erosion. I am the expert on who should be on a trail in the first place. It has to do with purpose, not who causes the most erosion.

There is absolutely an issue ... we have to preserve the natural environment for future generations. My argument with you is that you seem to believe that hiking is entirely beneficial and mountainbiking harmful. The facts are that they are both activities which cause similar levels of erosion and there have to be user limits if we are not to destroy the things we love.

I suppose you would think that motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles would also cause “similar” levels of erosion. All of that is a minor issue in my view. What matters to me is what one is doing on a trail in the first place. Are you contemplating nature (hikers) or are you sport riding a trail (bikers).

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injury themselves, I rejoice! If and when the manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain bikers!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great