Old October 16th 17, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:02:00 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 09:02:59 +0700, John B wrote:
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:33:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the
eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through
exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's
cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big
gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to
one mistake, right?

He also said "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an
unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and
psychology in the world." -- Cheers,

As a licensed psychologist, I've been telling this to people for years.
Get outside, get some fresh air and sunshine with some exercise and most
people will feel better- some better than they will from talking to me.
Even if the client has a bona fide depressive disorder (versus just
being disgruntled or overly stressed, which are normal parts of the
human experience) regular exercise will usually help at least some.
Your overall health will improve, your sleep will improve, your
waistline will improve, your bones wil improve, your muscles will
improve.

Not sure about that waist line. Has never worked for me. All the rest,
yes, sure.

The old saying "walking off a tantrum" has its meaning.

And a walk is inexpensive.

Not really when seen per mile. I walk about two miles every day so
that's around 700mi/year. A pair of $30 sports shoes wears out within a
year so 4c/mile. I get more than that out of a road bike rear tire.
Sandals don't wear out that fast for whatever reason but can't be used
much in winter.

Get rid of the shoes. The feet are self healing and will grow to
accommodate even black top pavement.

I would add, before you start you say it is impossible, that Zola Budd
set the world 5,000 metre record running barefoot. Her mile best of
4:17.57 in 1985, still stands as the British record. Barefooted.

Our grandmothers knew what they were about when they told us to get out
of the house, go play outside and don't come back until lunch time.

Yup. My parents were of the same opinion. What I see nowadays concerns
me. Often kids are flooded with so much homework that they barely get
out. Some parents stuff them into pre-school and kindergarden (which I'd
never do to a kid) where they can only play in a prescribed manner, not
free. Then many older kids sit in front of a stupid video game or cell
phone screen all day long. To the point where they aren't even
interested in a driving license, let alone a hiking or cycling trip.

I am eternally thankful that my parents let me ride, ride, ride. Tens of
miles some days. "Where did you go today?" ... "All the way to the big
river 15 miles away" ... "Oh, cool". Occasionally I took homework along
and finished that way out there in some forest. I still do that when
having to tackle a difficult engineering design.

--
Cheers,

John B.