Old January 10th 18, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 1:25:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:28:40 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers

as a snow country biker, does SR use studded tires /

No, no studs for me. I drop; the air pressure a fair bit if I think I'll be on black ice. Early in the season I take the bike to an outdoor ice rimnks after dark when the rink is closed (It's a temporary one they build forthe winter in a park) and practice riding the bike on that ice.

Btw, contrary to many who believe that black ice is always thin, that's not always true and also, black ice can form very quickly even if the air temperature is above freezing but the moisture is in shade and thus quite a bit cooler.

Cheers