Old September 7th 17, 09:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 00:21:24 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 13:22:05 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 20:39:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 07:23:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Sigh. Inflate the desired tire at what temperature, with how much
effort, how quickly, to what accuracy, how big a tire, etc?
(...)

You missed the "desired tire to the desired pressure" ;-?

No I didn't. The word "Inflate" assumes that pressure is checked
(unless you subscribe to my hard, firm, soft, mush, flat empirical
standard for tire inflation without numbers.

Ever do much with inflatable mattresses, used by some campers? Or
those little inflatable raft thing that kids use in the back yard
pool? Or Inflatable boats. No pressure gauges for those.... and having
used an inflatable boat for a year or so I can assure you that when
you are putt-putting a mile out into the bay to get to your yacht you
do have a certain amount of interest in the boat being inflated to
"the desired pressure" :-)

Sure. When one inflates a vessel with a large volume and semi-rigid
structure, there's quite a large difference in air volume between
maximum and minimum inflation. Plenty of room to experiment and
fairly easy to determine if it's hard, firm, soft, mush, or flat.
However, as the vessel volume becomes smaller and the structure become
more rigid, that allowable sloppiness becomes small. A small blast of
air from the inflator, could mean over-inflation. Blowing some air
out the Presta valve to clear out the dirt, might drop the tire to
well below operational pressure.

Incidentally, I've been working erratically on the design of several
inflatable portable antenna structures. Something like these but
smaller and lighter:
http://www.ltaprojects.com
Inflation pressure largely determines the load capacity of the
structure. Underinflation can cause buckling. Therefore, it's
important to set the pressure accurately. Much of the basic design
closely resembles an inflatable air mattress sitting on end.

I would think that temperature would have a rather large effect on
this sort of thing but I suspect that an automatic air pressure system
wouldn't be difficult to arrange.

Ummm... perhaps you shouldn't inhale with the hose in your mouth?

Well, most people were bright enough not to do that, some without
being told, too.

I just demonstrated that I'm not one of the bright ones. I've been
having problems seeing the computer screen. The characters all seem
to look blurry. Various reading glasses didn't help much. I just
wasted an hour poking around the monitor trying to determine the
cause. After essentially giving up, I decided that maybe I should
give the "Auto" button on the monitor a try. That fixed the problem
in a few seconds.

Moral: When looking for the obscure, be sure to also check the
obvious.

--
Cheers,

John B.