Old August 19th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Towing carbon-frame bicycles?

On 8/19/2017 1:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
It rarely happens but I have towed bicycles on occasion when
a chain was irreparably pretzeled or the derailer had
snapped. Or as "power assist" when a rider plain ran out of
steam. I carry a towing rope in the left pannier. It doubles
as a tie down rope for bulky loads and to tie down the bike
in the bed of a pickup truck.

Now that many bikes have fancy carbon frames this brings up
the question whether one can still tie the towing rope to
the head tube. Or is that now too sensitive and it is better
to wrap it somewhere around the stem area?

If it's deemed necessary for one reason or another, a better
idea may be to have the towed rider simply hold the end of
rope or cord. One might also simply ride along pushing the
rider's hip occasionally with one hand. I have seen some
ugly crashes on group rides over the years with a tethered
bicycle.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/