Old August 19th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Towing carbon-frame bicycles?

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 11:51:07 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
It rarely happens but I have towed bicycles on occasion when a chain was
irreparably pretzeled or the derailer had snapped. Or as "power assist"
when a rider plain ran out of steam. I carry a towing rope in the left
pannier. It doubles as a tie down rope for bulky loads and to tie down
the bike in the bed of a pickup truck.

Now that many bikes have fancy carbon frames this brings up the question
whether one can still tie the towing rope to the head tube. Or is that
now too sensitive and it is better to wrap it somewhere around the stem
area?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Wow, is the tow rope in the pannier pocket next to the heart-lung machine, or is that in another pannier? I carry a full selection of shop tools, derailleur hangers, spokes, rims and a friction-drive motor, just in case the rider is tired or I can't completely repair the bike. https://www.electricbike.com/wp-cont...plerBike21.jpg I used to bring a granite surface plate and gas torch for fixing and truing steel frames, but most people are on aluminum or CF these days, at least back on the super-gnarly trails where I ride.

-- Jay Beattie