Old February 7th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain waxing + graphite question

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:08:22 -0600, HarryB wrote:

I have read that some people recommend adding some graphite to the wax
to help increase the life of the chain. However, if I add graphite to
the wax, wouldn't it settle to the bottom of the wax cake after I'm
done with waxing? In that case, wouldn't I remove the graphite when I
scrape off the sediment, defeating the purpose of adding the graphite?

I don't add graphite and don't see what is would do. I do add maybe
5% motor oil to the wax. Parrafin wax is a bad lubricant. When a
part gets scratched, the wax doesn't flow into the sratch. Maybe the
small amount of oil in the wax will do that. I've had great luck in
waxing chains in SoCal, where it is dry. I usually rewax when the
chain squeeks. Getting caught in the rain will ruin a wax job almost
instantly. I rode a waxed tandem chain in the rain one day. Next
morning the dried chain already had rust spots.

You can put a layer of screen on the bottom of your wax pot and avoid
having to scrape the black layer off.