Old April 19th 18, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 2018-04-18 13:15, Duane wrote:

Yeah, I'm mostly used to hearing people ask how low they can go and
still avoid snakebites.Â* I guess those gnarly country trails "out
there"
are better than our paved roads here in Quebec.

In California they just put a cone on there or slop some asphalt
slurry in there, roll the truck across it a few times and call it a day.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/62/33/32/.../3/920x920.jpg

"Your tax Dollars at work"

Is there a place where they do more than that? I haven't found one yet.

Texas, Nevada, Utah and Arizona are among states which have a road
system that on average is by far in better shape. Florida also left a
good impression every time I drove there.

You're answering a different question than the one that was asked. I
expect southern states to have better roads than my northern one, simply
because it's the freeze-thaw cycle that causes most potholes.

Do the states you listed have a different pothole repair method? That
was the question.

In my area, some roads are owned and repaired by the state, some by the
county, some by the township, some by the city. All use the same pothole
repair technique. The same is true in the neighboring state (which is
just five miles away).

I don't doubt that better methods exist, but the priority here seems to
be filling in the greatest number of holes in the shortest amount of
time, because the crews can't keep up as it is. In fact, maybe two
months ago, potholes that suddenly appeared in a local interstate
highway were so bad that multiple cars had blowouts. One woman parked
her car on the interstate in an attempt to help a stranded motorist and
was killed by another car.

Given those possibilities, officials don't want to try for perfection. I
once heard that one California town (perhaps Palo Alto??) had an
ordinance requiring that pothole patches be no more than 1/4" above the
normal road surface. That is impossible here, in any practical sense.

Around here they don't bother rolling the truck across the asphalt they
shovel in. They leave it loose, figuring that traffic will eventually
flatten it a bit.

Union stranglehold like here?

State, county, township or city/village? It varies. Our village street
workers are not unionized. I know a couple of them well, and have worked
with them on certain projects. They're good guys.

--
- Frank Krygowski