Old April 20th 18, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:02:12 -0700, Joerg
On 2018-04-18 12:51, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Also, why would Joerg want a HP 25mm tire in super-gnarlyville? With
all the ad hoc trail riding and massive loads, he should have a 32mm
tire minimum. And not a Zaffiro, which are flat-prone.

So far so good. The ride on the Zafiro is a bit more bone-rattling
than others but no flats. Part of my usual road bike valley route is
gravel and old Lincoln highway which looks like a concrete runway
after a bombing raid. I've got thick tubes plus liners in there though
which affords me the option to ride just about any tire.

... If his bike won't
accommodate a tire of that size, may that's a reminder that he's
riding the wrong bike.

I might get by with 28mm but only with absolutely zero wobble and that
ain't gonna happen on any of my bikes.

You're riding the wrong bikes, then. From what you describe about (a)
your riding environments and (b) the unending litany of mechanical
failures and other travails... you're riding the wrong bikes.

You should be on bikes accommodating tires 40+ mm wide. This will
sharply reduce your flat tire problems, your ride discomfort problems,
many of your premature service failure problems, etc.

Underbiking is one thing. You're doing something else.