Old April 4th 07, 10:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default Chain cleaning solvents

On Apr 5, 5:53 am, "Gags" wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

suzyj wrote:
Donga wrote:

Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop?

Naah - I'm just peeved I can't get kero from the bowser any more. I
probably only go through a couple of litres a year.

Tried your local supermarket?
1L containers are probably convienient.

I used kero (from supermarket) for a long time but recently I was in super
cheap auto and bought a bottle of "biodegradable degreaser" that is in a
blue bottle. I have used it about 3 times so far and I am pretty impressed
with it. It is almost odourless and seems to do a reasonable job of
degreasing - means the wife doesn't complain about me smelling like kerosene
anymore!!!

The other thing I bought that I should have years ago was a decent pair of
rubber gloves.........not sure why I didn't do this earlier but it is
definitely easier now as I don't have to scrub my hands forever when I get
back inside from a degreasing session in the shed.

Gags

I get worried about degreaser. I used a few cans of that $2 spray
degreaser a few years ago. For my pains, I destroyed the alloy finish
on a 105 and an Ultegra crankset. I twigged too late that it was the
degreaser - I think because of its high alkalinity. Why change from
kero? If you have dirty hands, just wash them in kero ;-)

Donga