Old November 28th 14, 05:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

Default 214 Million in Funding For Cycling Announced

On 27/11/2014 23:14, Cassandra wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 21:02:05 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

On 27/11/2014 16:03, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:39:19 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

I think it is quite reasonable: as long as the money comes from the
registration fee and annual tax on cyclists to enable them to use the
facilities.

What you seem to overlook is that cycling has an overall benefit to the
economy and to society. Therefore it would only be right that society
overall funds the facilitation of it.

Lets see which is better for the economy

Buying and running a car which employs millions of people in this
country, or spending a couple of hundred quid on something made in a
chinese seatshop ?

A fair point but a narrow view. But how much does it cost the economy in
time spent in traffic jams, obesity related illness? I am not an
economist and I have little interest in the subject anyway. However I do
however think that 'the economy' is given far too much importance over
and above health and the environment in which we live. Health and well
being of people appear to be of lesser importance in this money driven
society.