"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Another familiar story. Here is a man 65 years of age trying
to be a teenager. Mountain biking puts stress on various body organs because
trying to negotiate a trail on a bike is stressful no matter your age. But
Blackblade thinks mountain biking is good for one's health. Is being dead good
for one's health? This man might have lived for another 20 years if he had not
thought that mountain biking was a good thing to be doing. The last time I
looked there were plenty of roads in Oregon for cyclists to ride. He should have
stuck to roads, where the only danger is being hit by a motor
vehicle.

Spectacular own goal there Ed :-))))

You do know, I take it, that last year 14 cyclists died in London alone due to being hit by motor vehicles ? Cycling on the road is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking.

Riding a bicycle in the road is not safe either by any means. The solution is for cyclists to have their own bike paths entirely separated from motor vehicle traffic. However, a specially constructed trail for bikes is not the same thing as a trail designed and meant only for walkers.

Mountainbiking is, despite your claims to the contrary, good for you and pretty safe. The hiking report from the lake district included 3 hiking fatalities you might recall - and you're happy to conclude that this is 'safe' just because it suits your argument. So, same question back to you ... is it safe if people end up dead ?

Riding a bike on a mountainous trail is very hard on the body in various ways, especially older bodies. The reports from the field are just too numerous and widespread to conclude anything other than that riding your bike on a trail is dangerous. The main danger is from falls from the front wheel hitting an object in the pathway and being ejected over the handlebars. Wheels need fairly smooth pathways whereas walkers don’t. Hikers merely step over objects in the pathway.

Too bad we can’t raise from the dead all those killed by mountain biking and ask them if it (being dead) was worth it

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home