Old July 31st 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27
Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more
than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I
don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with
a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding
trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or
some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on
a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the
upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces
cup (250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the
smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32
ounces divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you
use two 24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces
evey fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer
just for your liquids!

Over 4-5h of hard MTB riding on a 95-100F day I find that 1-1/2 gallons
of liquids is adequate. But not less than that. I could have used more
but that's all I had on the bike.

I have met plenty of people on trails who thought like you, that this
was ridiculous and all that. They did not look too well healthwise and
sometimes I gave them one of my bottles. In one case almost all my water
because the guy appeared close to heading towards the eternal trails.