Old January 31st 08, 03:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Servicing ergopower

not all there wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:15 am, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:
phillip brown wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:22 pm, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:
So my 9sp veloce ergopower levers have around
25,000kms into them in all sorts of weather.
Gear shifting has become a bit hit and miss.
Position of rear derailleur depends on whether
the shift is up or down to that cog.
I'm thinking that the lever (RHS) needs taking
apart and cleaning.
Anyone done this? I had a quick look and there
seemed to be lots of little bits that could easily
get lost or go "sproing" upon loosening a nut or
bolt.
Any experiences to share?
DeF
--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Thanks for those tips Phillip, I've ordered some parts from Branford
Bike and will have a go at pulling it apart when they arrive.

There's actually quite an amazing wealth of info (that I should have
looked for first) including a couple of youtube videos showing
assembly and disassembly of ergolevers.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

What they don't show is a nice flat well lit work surface with no
crevices for small parts ot sproing out into and be lost until you've
given up looking for them (then they magically appear), *good* tools,
i.e. needle nose pliers with accurate jaws, a good set of pin punches,
and a lot of patience and a good frame of mind. The patience is
especially useful when you're learning.

MH

I think I cover all those bases except the pin punches. I guess that is
for removing the brake lever. I might invest in that and a set of ring
clip pliers as per youtube video.

So far, all the things I've taken apart to investigate or fix have not
ended up being *more* broken than they were before. Some of them have
even ended up fixed or working better!

DeF