Old July 31st 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cathy Kearns

Default Bicycle Injury Statistics

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

Think of it this way--riding at night is more dangerous
than riding during the day, regardless of the rider.

I looked at all those graphs and didn't come up with this. There wasn't
anything in that research that said why riders in the dark were more likely
to be injured or killed. It didn't divide out the well lighted folks versus
those riding unlit. It didn't divide out those riding in expected places
versus those riding the wrong way down the sidewalks.

OTOH, the fatality statistics which look so bad for
night riding are skewed by the drunken doofii
who tend to make up a substantial portion of the
night riding population.

This is for another thread, but looking only at
fatality statistics provides a woefully incomplete
view of the overall risk of cycling.

Yep.

My personal experience: I was riding this week to a tennis tournament 6
miles from my house. I was always taking the exact same route, sometimes
during the day, sometimes after 10pm at night. It felt much safer at night,
as you rarely saw a car on the streets without seperated paths, and when you
did you could see them coming from a long ways away, so you can make sure to
get out of their way even if they don't see the bright red blinking leds,
reflectors, front headlights, and reflector jackets.