Old September 9th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark T.B. Carroll[_2_]

Default Close call

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

Most of the problem driving round town at night seems to me to be
caused by dazzle from oncoming cars. When there are no oncoming
bright blue headlights I find it quite easy to see pedestrians
whatever they are wearing.

A problem I had as a car driver with modern fancy headlamps is that the
region illuminated is so sharply defined that, coming down a hill, I'd
get no illumination whatsoever of bicyclists up the other side of the
dip. Twilight was especially awkward for that - I'd really have to slow
down just in case. So, for suitable values of "bright blue headlights",
they're a problem from both sides.

(Lovely to see a thread that isn't widely cross-posted!)

Mark