Old July 7th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default nifty multitool

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 5:56:11 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

At some point, we will probably need to consider quantum effects in
bicycle performance.

I'm not worried. As a novelist and an economist, never mind a psychologist, both of the latter where I practiced them statistical arts with a tenuous relationship to hard mathematics, I've spent my life dealing with matters which can simultaneously be both true and untrue so that the tiniest margin of truth can make billions of difference at yearend audit. But I feel sorry for engineers, who have on the whole been taught that there are always hard numbers which mean only one thing at a time -- or even forever.

Andre Jute
Compare when I did my conscript military service in intelligence, where almost all the facts are deliberately made untrue by your enemies and you must find the single indicative fact that is important enough to act on or, in that wilderness of mirrors, deliberately not to act on because you don't want the guys opposite to discover they didn't baffle you; a field of fools' gold in which the greater the benefit of some "fact" to your side, the greater the risk that the benefit, even if it the fact is objectively true, to the other side will be greater. Zero sum games are the greatest psychosis one can imagine.