Old November 27th 07, 02:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
tim

Default Simple bikes for local transport

On Nov 27, 11:53 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Back-pedal brakes may be way out of style, but they work pretty well for 20
or 30 years with minimal maintenance.

The only brakes I've owned other than rim and disk brakes are the back-
pedal brake on my old BMX and the drum drag-brake on my old (1970s
vintage) tandem. From what I have heard about modern roller brakes and
service drum brakes (eg http://www.sturmey-archer.com/
hubs_fh_SBF.php and http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/cycle/
products/group.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302050047&A SSORTMENT%3C
%3East_id=1408474395181667&bmUID=1196130764762) they're just as
durable as they ever were; nobody's getting rich selling replacement
friction elements for these things.

A 'town-bike' needs to have longevity
without weekly or monthly maintenance. Utility bikes should be able to
survive with an annual service for 30 years.

I suspect most of the people who'd buy this type of bike won't do
their own maintenance. An annual service will be recommended.

Although, I don't remember the coaster brake of my old BMX getting
much of a service after being ridden hub-deep in salt water...

I doubt your average commuter cyclist wants to break
in a Brooks.

I doubt your average townbikes.com customer wants to pay for a Brooks
either. Not without the Rohloff upgrade, anyway.

Hmmmm, cheap Chinese frames with Rohloff speedhubs and Brooks saddles,
I'm sure there's a market there :-P

I think one of the main comfort benefit of a Brooks saddle is that the
wallet in the rider's right hip pocket is so much thinner, so he can
sit more evenly.

I've seen some leather Brooks knock-off saddles available though...

Maybe that will be stage 3 of the business development. Cargo bikes,
then city bikes, then general commuter bike bits and pieces (including
chain cases and farkles as requested by Lemmi). Maybe not until stage
4 - I'll get the lavish corporate HQ cum lair sorted first. Including
a big tank full of sharks.

tim
making plans while he waits patiently for his approval sample
bakfietsen to be unloaded from the container... tap tap tap...