Old February 8th 18, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Horst link bending forces

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 2:48:30 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:33:55 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

lou.holtman wrote:

From 105 and up it is hard to tell the
difference when clean. I think I can tell the
difference between 105 and DA especially
shifting in front and braking. But is it
worth the price difference? I don't know but
Shimano have to realize that they make their
profit because the regular cyclist buys DA
components and I think it's a shame that they
don't offer the proper gearing for the
regular cyclist in DA quality.

"Proper gearing for the regular cyclist", is
that some casette/chainrings configuration that
the pros have different?

From what I read Dura Ace offers, in 10 speed, 11-21/11-23/11-28/12-23
and 12-27, cassettes and chain wheel combinations in a number of
combinations, the lowest of which seems to be 50/34 teeth. They also
offer 7 different length of crank arm ranging from 165 to 180mm.

That should keep most road cyclists happy.
--
Cheers,

John B.

For 20 km climbs with stretches of more the 11% a 34/27 combination is not low enough for a lot of people that can afford a DA group. In the latest DA version they offer a 34/30 gear combination so it is getting better. But why not offer a 34/32 like Ultegra?
You have the money to spend and willing to do so and you are 'forced' to buy Ultegra. What kind of marketing is that?

Lou