Old February 8th 20, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Hot nipples (wheel truing)

pH wrote:
I note my non-drive side spokes are looser than I'd like and plan to give them a 1/4 turn.

I don't think it should affect my centering much, but, anyway,
since it's been a long time I'm planning to put a drop of transmission
fluid on each nipple then heat it briefly w/ a propane torch, or maybe
vice-versa, heat then oil, just so I can make sure they are not too bound up.

Good idea? Bad idea?
I'll hold off a day until some opinions roll in.

ph in Aptos

I’d skip the S&M treatments until I had determined that I actually couldn’t
just give every second spoke nipple a 1/4 turn. Maybe use a soft faced
clamp/pliers to prevent the spoke from turning while you turn the spoke
wrench.