Old July 2nd 20, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclists, 'road tax' and being considerate

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 8:46:08 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/07/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:58:35 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

A pity that in areas where the residents pay for their roads,
councils can't put toll stations on all roads not Highways Agency
maintained (unlikely to be used by cyclists) crossing into their
boundary and charge the freeloaders for bringing their car in.

Maybe a system like on toll bridges that use an automatic payment
system like the Humbertag I have stuck to my windscreen that deducts
£1-50 from my account whenever I drive across the Humber Bridge.

Yes, easy to do. It's not the 20th century where manned booths and gates
would be needed.

A few pence could be sent to East Riding of Yorkshire council for my
damaging their roads and not paying council tax to them anymore.

Do you know whether they have a means of taking donations for a "road fund"?

I believe it is called "council tax", but drivers from outside the county don't have to pay it and as such get to use the roads for free.