Old January 17th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

Default caribbean bicycling opportunities?

On 2008-01-17, Papa Tom wrote:

My second suggestion is Grand Cayman, which is where all the world's
wealthiest people have their money hidden. For that reason, it's mostly
pretty upscale, although it has its share of slums, too.

GC has very low crime, but it's pretty boring to ride, as there's just one
main highway east of George Town. I did see a ton of bikers, however, so
others must not share my opinion.

The bigger issue is that there's not much to do there, aside from diving and
laundering money.

St. Thomas and St. Maarten are very scary places for me, but this may be
because my business on those islands always involves investigating crimes.
For this reason, I see lots of bad areas and I deal with all kinds of
corrupt government officials. There's a lot of animosity toward Americans
on these islands, at least once you go outside the tourist areas.

That'd be odd for St. Thomas, as it's American soil!

There did seem to be some resentment toward the mainland, mostly due to
unfixed hurricane damage, when I was last there (which was a full decade
ago). But I never felt threatened, except by...

The traffic on St. Thomas is brutal.

Amen. I'd drive on GC again before I'd tackle the roads of St. Thomas.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff