Old January 8th 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

AMuzi wrote:
:On 1/7/2018 7:30 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
: Frank Krygowski writes:
:
: On 1/7/2018 1:28 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
: Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the
: roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as
: elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are
: clear. Do you?
:
: Well, "it's known that there can be black ice" sounds to me like "It's
: near or below freezing."
:
: Surely you need two things for black ice: freezing temperatures and
: liquid water. Hoarfrost isn't black, neither is snow. To get
: transparent ice on a reasonably crowned road you need quite a bit of
: liquid water, so I expect black ice when snow melting temperatures are
: quickly followed by temperatures well below freezing.
:
: At my advanced age, I don't ride as much as I used to when it's below
: freezing. My riding is mostly confined to utility trips around our
: village. But no, I don't add any head or body armor. I just ride
: really slowly and carefully.
:
: FWIW: As a teen, I had a very large paper route (2nd biggest in the
: city). Delivering by bike with a big basket was much easier than
: trudging with a shoulder bag, so unless snow cover exceeded an inch or
: so, I rode the bike. As a result, I may have better snow-riding
: reflexes than most people.
:

:Or a salt slush base then colder temperatures and a little
:added snow so it all freezes. Cars pack it shiny and hard.

When it's really cold (zero F and down) you get ice from things like
condensation from tail pipes at stop lights, and from storm sewer
'steam' refreezing. Those cna be be damn surprising.

--
sig 61