Old February 13th 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On 2019-02-11 15:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I find that better quality tires give better feel on and to the
road. Also in winter in snow quality REALLY trumps the el cheapo
tires on many bicycles. The knobs on el cheapo tires freeze in
the deep cold and then act like skate blades with no traction at
all. I found that out 50+ years ago whilst winter commuting in
Toronto Canada.

Vee Rubber didn't exist 50 years ago. Suggest to try again.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I just ordered another pair of cheap Chinese carbon tubeless wheels.
Since I will have a set of new Continental GP5000TL's and since MUCH
to my surprise a tubeless tire actually is not as tight on a tubeless
rim as a standard clincher I am going to try and blame my other
carbon tubeless failures on the tires and not on the wheelset.

So after I get everything and assemble them and REALLY check them out
for failures I will keep everyone apprised of how things are going.
The 40 mm deep clinchers at less than half of the cost of a cheap
Fulcrum aluminum wheelset us still working really well. I really like
both the way they ride and the far more aero design that does NOTHING
to destabilize the steering in cross-winds.

Fingers crossed.

Which reminds me, I also need a new wheel set for the old road bike soon
because the rims are worn from the brakes. Again. The spokes are tired,
the hubs are also getting old and the freehub is nearly shot (again
....). To my dismay I found that Nashbar doesn't have any wheel sets
left. Looks like they are shutting down :-(