Old November 3rd 03, 05:03 AM
A Muzi

Default "fixed" freewheel, variable gear?

Byron Sheppard wrote:

I've been reading all the threads about fixed gear and am sold on the
benefits. Can't wait to try one.

But while thinking about it during a ride one day, I got to wondering if
anyone has tried fixing the freewheel (or freehub) but still having a
cassette and multiple gears? This would seem to provide many of the benefits
of a fixed gear while still offering the flexibility to maintain cadence
through gear changes. It also means that it might be possible to convert a
bike to "fixedwheel" or "fixedhub" with no other drivetrain changes.

So why is this a silly idea? Has anyone tried it? Suggestions for how to fix
the hub?

See the earlier post about a binding freehub body. The
chain bunches up when you try to coast. Some riders who
ditz around with tensioners, a fixed hub and vertical frame
ends find this as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org