Old February 25th 13, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default 500 Lumen, 3C, Adjustable Beam, 3 Mode Cree LED Flashlight 2for $24.99 at Costco

On 2/24/2013 3:11 PM, Dan O wrote:

snip

Looks like a good deal, but the first poissible drawback that comes to
mind: Isn't Li-Ion sensitive to memory effect if not fully cycled?
And I do not like (anywhere near) fully discharging a headlight out on
the road.

I'm not too fond of Li-Ion batteries for bicycle lights, even though
they are all that make sense for stuff like laptops and cameras. I'd
rather have NiMH batteries where I can have back-up (of course you could
also buy a spare custom Li-Ion battery pack).

The problem with most bicycle lights is their beam pattern, which is
invariably a fixed pattern that is a compromise between spot and flood
(some older commercial systems used two MR lamps, one spot and one
flood, but I don't see these anymore). A light with adjustable optics
has definite advantages for a bicycle light.

I also am very unfond of most commercial bicycle lights' mounting
system. Usually that have no adjustment to compensate for non-straight
handlebars, plus they often use funky plastic mounts, rubber shims, and
flimsy clamps. Usually it's the worst of both worlds, too fragile to
want to remove the lights to avoid theft, but too easy for someone to
steal if you leave it on the bike.