Old May 13th 18, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do.

Now that I'm back in the saddle, I'm getting ideas for posts. This
one is only half an idea, because I'm sure I've said this before, but
it bears repeating:

Never touch a brake lever without putting your other hand on the other
lever.

Once established, the habit of one-handed braking is impossible to
break. You can conscientiously brake properly dozens of times a day
for months, and the first time your attention wavers, you'll be
reaching for one brake with your habitual hand.

And exactly when do you brake without paying any attention to your
technique? When your life depends on stopping RIGHT NOW.

So make sure that your unconscious technique is the one you want to
use in an emergency.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net