Old May 21st 18, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: frittering around

On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:15:38 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I went to the Fat and Skinny Tire Fest on my "pedal-powered
wheelchair" yesterday and today. Not until afternoon yesterday,
because the morning was gloomy and damp. (In the morning, I bound a
couple of pieces of old quilt to take to the animal shelter the next
time I ride the Dump Tour widdershins.)

When I cut through the festival grounds on my way home from church
today, there appeared to be a criterium going on. The pack happened
to be on the other side when I emerged from the Boathouse parking lot,
so Canal Street appeared to be available. Luckily, I realized the
significance of the straw bales at the corner and the fence between
the sidewalk and the street before I crossed Administration Boulevard.
But I never figured out the purpose of the fence on the other side of
the sidewalk. It wasn't to keep people off the grass.

After coming home, I went back to buy lunch for two. I was surprised
that there was no line at Sweet Dreams, that being the only restaurant
that was open -- the food vendors that had been there on Saturday had
gone home, or maybe they are only open in the evening, and The Light
Rail and The Cerulean close on Sunday. The Boathouse might have been
open; I didn't think about it when I was passing, and every parking
place in town was occupied, so that was no indication.

I discovered that riding the flatfoot isn't as easy in a slim dress as
in a full skirt. I have to pull it way up to be able to step through
the frame. And I have to pull it down when I get off. I reflected
several times that it wasn't that hard to mount my road bike! And
that is hard; I have to put my good knee over the top bar, then pry my
foot up and over the saddle, all the while standing on my bad leg. (I
can't even walk beside a bike on the right side, let alone mount from
there. Nobody ever taught me how to mount, so I don't know how I got
addicted to mounting from the left.)

One always mounts from the "Near Side", the horses, or bicycle's left
side. You also lead, saddle, and walk the horse, bicycle, on the near
side.

For mounting you might try standing at the side of the bike. Then
lower the top tube, away from your side of the bike, nearly to the
ground and step across the now nearly ground level top tube, then
raise the bike to the vertical and you should be standing flat footed
straddling the bike. Kick the front pedal until it i horizontal, step
up on the pedal and away you go :-)

And if the flatfoot's pedals are not at just the right angle, I don't
have anywhere to stand on my left foot or I have no place to put my
right foot after clearing the frame. Nonetheless, I've decided to
"wheelchair" to church regardless of how I feel when I wake up,
because I frequently find that not limping takes too much attention
after I get halfway home.

But on Saturday, I really should have walked to the festival. I had
to walk most of the time anyway, and pushing the flatfoot was a drag.

--
Cheers,

John B.