Old July 9th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default drill/tap in frames

On 7/8/2018 10:31 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/7/2018 7:27 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Are there any secrets to drilling holes in
steel bike frames? I have a couple of discarded
ones I can test on but I thought I'd
ask anyway.

Do you use normal power hand tools like
a drill-screwdriver and/or a drill press (if
possible with the desired bolt position)?

Do the normal rules apply, e.g. to get
a threaded hole for an M6, you first drill with
a 5.0mm drill?

And you can use chainsaw oil, right?

As Jobst Brandt stated: "I don't know many riders who believe that
drilling a hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept."

Typical "sms" argument technique: Ignore the technical details. Instead,
appeal to authority.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...l-to-Authority

--
- Frank Krygowski