Old March 16th 05, 04:37 PM
Alan Hoyle

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:39:09 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Honest and serious audiophiles do A-B-X tests,

The problem with A-B-X tests are well documented, as the stress of
trying to make the correct identification can influence the test to the
point it is meaningless.

They're well by people unfamiliar with the science or unwilling to
accept it. ABX testing of audio approaches the theoretical limits of
what we expect from anatomy and physiology, and gives similar results
to what other double-blind protocols give.

Ideally, "black box" testing is what is needed, where only an alias of
the component is known, eliminating bias. Logistically, this is rather
difficult.

Agreed... Blind testing of bicycles would be problematic, to say the
least. Especially since we all know that red bicycles go at least 5%
faster.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/