Old July 26th 15, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Keys: too tired to write -- I've been riding

I'm too tired to write tonight, so I'll just natter a bit.

Last Wednesday, I drove to a grocery store and went for a ride for the
first time since we moved here in 2001.

I was surprised to realize that that meant that I had to carry both my
bike keys and my car keys. Made it hard to get at the sunscreen etc.
that I carry in the same pocket. Not to mention that I always got out
the wrong set of keys first.

I think that back when buying groceries in a distant town was a weekly
event, I carried all my keys on one ring. But since then we've bought
a vehicle that has a radio transmitter among its keys, and the house
key and folding scissors accompanying my bike key have been joined by
nail clippers, two knives, a six-foot tape measure, and eight
frequent-customer cards.

To think that once upon a time the bike key was the only key, and I
had a blue key made so it would look nice on a chain around my neck.
I've worn out two locks since then.

That was long before I started keeping a safety pin on my key ring.
That started when my car keys fell out of my pocket while I was trying
to take a nap on a very narrow bench in the warming bus during a night
fire. Luckily, my spouse had brought his keys, and the boys found my
keys when they cleaned the bus.

A while after we moved, I noticed that what I'd thought was a key to
the house didn't open any door in the house. But the key had to be to
something important. I carried it for years, and finally realized
that it was a very important key indeed. It was the key to a
firehouse seven hundred miles away, which is no longer a firehouse.

I wonder whether there is still a kitchen on the second floor.

Just a few weeks ago, I went to the bead shop and bought a package of
brass "lobster-claw clasps". Now all the tools on my key ring are
detachable.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/