Old December 18th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
slide[_2_]

Default Critical

Andre Jute wrote:

You approve of cops beating up someone because he showed them a finger
or raised his voice to them? Surely the correct procedure is not to
beat up the person with truncheons but to restrain him with the
minimum of violence and charge him with something, affray perhaps. Mr
King had not yet been found guilty of anything. The sayso of a cop
that Mr King "disrespected" him doesn't turn a raised middle finger
into a crime. If cops can decide just anyone is guilty and should be
truncheoned into insensibility, you might be the innocent bystander
who is next for the hospital and multiple stictches, or perhaps being
maimed for life.

Whatever the facts, and without condoning TV "agenda"-editing, those
LA cops were clearly arrogant brutes totally out of control.

American cops, by themselves, sometimes make America seem a third
world country.

I said nothing about what came before yet you chose to put words in my
mouth that I approve of a 'beating' due to a raised voice or gesture. I
never said nor did I imply anything of the sort.

In the King affair, the beatee / King did much more than raise his
voice. He'd proved time and time again that he wouldn't respond to
anything short of a beating and was a direct threat to the police having
assaulted them time and time again when lesser restraint failed. It
wasn't a 'disrespect' but a really scary attack. If you'd seen the
entire video, then you'd never post what you just did. You are wrong
about the King deal and wrong about putting words into my mouth about
the CM incident.

Since we don't know what preceded the few seconds of now famous CM video
we don't really know. You are assuming the CM rider was innocently
pedaling his way down the street and then was attacked for no reason
whatsoever. I agree that may be the case, but without seeing what
preceded the famous 10 seconds of video we can't know if the attack was
justified or not. When I say 'we' I include you too.