Old August 16th 10, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Disabled cyclist denied access to Brighton Pier.

Doug wrote:
Imagine my surprise when walking my diminutive folding bike towards
the entrance to the pier I was denied access. Most people are unaware
that disabled cyclists are widely discriminated against, compared to
say manual and motorised wheelchair users, but at least disabled
cyclists are allowed to wheel their bikes in such places as railways
stations and along pavements.

I suffer from a condition that makes walking difficult and painful but
much less so with cycling. Also, walking the bike has similar benefits
to using a walking frame. Still, I did have the consolation of not
parting with my money to the traders on the pier.

Doug.

You were not denied access, your bicycle was, this may well be partly
because of the IRA Brighton bombing attempt in 1994 which used bicycle borne
bombs.

Bicycles are also a major safety problem as a trip hazard in the event of an
emergency evacuation due to fire or other disaster, and piers have often
caught fire. Rather like the same way you would not be allowed to take a
bicycle into a cinema

I applaud the staff that turned you away in order to safeguard others.