Old October 9th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default road bike questions

On 2018-10-09 12:02, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Head must be up. Else ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA

Head must be up but should it hang down like
into your body, or should it be "supported" up
by muscles? It is more a neck and shoulder
issue than the head itself.

It must be supported by muscles. Otherwise you run a real risk of neck
pain. That is something I've heard road bike riders complain about.

I doubt that would make you even 0.1% faster.

I know it wont make me go faster, but what
I meant was, does it increase the speed *at
all*, even microscopically? This question is
a mechanical-physical question, I don't plan to
ride like this to gain speed

How could pedaling "empty" decrease the speed? The ticking freehub
causes a very small amount of braking force. If you pedal, the ticking
will drop in rate, so less drag. However, the difference is probably so
miniscule that it really doesn't matter.

PS. Apologize for unclear language, typos
etc. No sleep or food 48+h. But who needs
sleep and food when there are bikes?

Don't do that, it's not good for you :-)

...what? Apologizing or not eating/sleeping?

No, I meant it's not good to go 48h without sleep. Without food is ok,
we all have to do that before a colonoscopy. Just don't do a 100 miler
on your road bike during that time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/