Old November 13th 18, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Chain Lube?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:31:19 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:25:35 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-11-12 16:17, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. slocomb wrote:

I wonder whether this product might not be a useful chain lube
https://tinyurl.com/yc8dwzfp

cheers,

John B.

It looks pricey, but molybdenum disulphide is a great, albeit messy dry
lubricant.

Yes, that looks like it could become the most expensive chain lube ever.
Do they have real gold flakes in there? I can't imagine a can lasting
more than 4-5 lubes. You could buy a new chain instead where the factory
lube lasts like 2-3 normal lube intervals.

Good Lord! A cyclist worrying about prices? Impossible!

After all a TREK Madone SLR 9 Disc eTap starts at a mere
$12,299,99.... But of course, that's a road bike and everyone knows
that those who actually ride a bicycle on a public road are... well, a
bit on the stupid side. Imagine, ignoring all those dangerous
automobiles...

In contrast, the mountain bikers, a sport that originated with a bunch
of guys who rode old second, third, fourth hand, bikes that even the
riders referred to as "Klunkers", can now rejoice in a brand new TREK
Top Fuel 9.9 SL, for a paltry $9,299.99.

And you want to ignore an almost magical product that markets for a
mere $44.77 (plus shipping) ?
cheers,

John B.

Just buy your moly powder in bulk and mix it in with the carrier of your
choice (oil, wax, a fast evaporating solvent, or a mixture of the above)

https://www.lowerfriction.com/produc...?categoryID=26

It doesn't seem to be quite as simple as the Dow stuff apparently goes
on as a liquid and then hardens. According to the TDS it requires a
two hour curing time which seems to imply something other then just
Molybdenum Disulfide and a carrier. The Dow product contains Polybutyl
Titanate which, from what I read, aids in forming an adhesive coating
probably helps in causing the Moly to stick to the object being
coated.

cheers,

John B.