Old November 13th 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Chain Lube?

On 11/12/2018 4:17 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. slocomb wrote:

I wonder whether this product might not be a useful chain lube
https://tinyurl.com/yc8dwzfp

cheers,

John B.

It looks pricey, but molybdenum disulphide is a great, albeit messy dry
lubricant.

About 45 years ago I tried molybdenum disulfide on my bicycle chain. It
didn't work well. The aerosol nozzle kept clogging, and it was messy.

The particles are small enough that you don't have the same problem that
you do with wax. But I'm not sure that it was actually getting into the
pins and rollers.

You really need a lubricant that has a carrier that makes it thin enough
to penetrate and then the carrier evaporates leaving the lubricant
inside. In short, you want a foaming chain lube for non-O ring chains.
These are designed specifically for the unique characteristics of chains.

There aren't many non-O ring motorcycle chains anymore so you probably
have to order it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UKH86Y