Old November 13th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Chain Lube?

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 1:38:08 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

About 45 years ago I tried molybdenum disulfide on my bicycle chain. It
didn't work well. The aerosol nozzle kept clogging, and it was messy.

The particles are small enough that you don't have the same problem that
you do with wax.

Hmm. The "problem" people really have with wax is that it produces
longer chain life and less friction loss than any other known lubricant. It's also far cleaner, keeping one's bike, leg, pants etc.
clean. In other words, those are not problems, they are great
benefits.

The only real problem is that the lubrication process takes a little
longer (maybe ten minutes if done on the bike, as opposed to a hot
dip method).

"sms" is probably referring to his theoretical idea that the wax
doesn't penetrate and lubricate as well. But lab tests as well as
tons of anecdotal evidence show that his ideas are flat out wrong.
Again.

- Frank Krygowski