Old September 10th 17, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Road Discs

On 2017-09-09 15:28, jbeattie wrote:
So, my SuperSix was crushed in a roof-rack accident and
last weak my
Roubaix was stolen out of the garage that I left open all
night.
I've done that many times ...

Consider an alarm that starts blaring in the house if left
open and no movement in the area for xx minutes. Or an
automatic (but safe) closure function that can be disabled
during times you work in there. A bright or blinking light
in the hallway or something might already suffice. It would
alert you or your family that the garage is still open.
Especially at night before bed time when you turn off all
light but there is this remaining weird glow in the hallway.

I've had days when I walked the dogs and someone's garage
was open, with nice CF bikes and expensive tools in there,
nobody around. Then I ring their door bell and it's usually
"Oh dang! Thanks!".

... -- apparently one too many. I'm
down to a
gravel bike and my commuter -- the reborn warranty CAADX
(which is a
great bike).

The gravel bike is a pig, but I'll use that for
fall/winter/spring
sport riding. I want a fast bike, though -- and I've got
a line on a
nice bike that I can get with rim brakes or discs, but the
disc model
will not be available until December -- which really means
that I get
to ride it in dry weather some time around May. I can get
a rim
brake model by the end of the month.

All the shops are pushing discs, and I did like the discs
on the
Roubaix and on my gravel bike. I know this is absolutely
the wrong
group to ask because it's wall-to-wall curmudgeons, ...

ahem ... grumble

...but if
you were
buying your last nice road bike, would you go rim brakes
or discs? It
will be a dry weather bike or ridden in the rain only
because of bad
luck. There would be no real weight penalty because the
bike is so
light to start with. I'm not aero, so I don't care about
the aero
penalty with discs.

Disc. 100%. If my current road bike ever needs to be
replaced disc brakes are a non-negotiable requirement for
me. Preferably hydraulic though that's not common with
brifters which I wouldn't need but any road or CX bikes
seems to have these days.

My concern with getting rim brakes is not really even a
performance
issue because in dry weather, I've never had a problem
with rim
brakes -- but to listen to the guys at the local shop, rim
brakes are
going the way of the dodo. I'm worried about buying an
antique!

Nah. Rim brake pads will be available for decades. At least
until you and I are in a nursing home.

However, dry weather is not always that dry. Consider a big
rain storm of which you have many up there. Then the sun
comes out and you think that this ought to be the perfect
time to ride. Still nice and cool but no rain. At 20mph you
go through a long puddle, no big deal. Then right afterwards
grandpa Miller doesn't see you and pulls out of the gas
station right in front of you. You hit the brakes ... two
seconds of ... nothing.

I even had brake delay when I rode through overspray from
landscaping sprinklers next to the road. On a 100F day that
is a refreshing event. Until you need the brakes right there.

Joerg, all the current Campagnolo Ergo shifters are
hydraulic brake and also cable compatible.
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ted-disc-brake

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/