Old September 13th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Road Discs

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:04:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/13/2017 2:59 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:41:29 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/13/2017 11:17 AM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 5:57:47 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 07:05:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 12:27:49 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 19:59:54 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 9/11/2017 6:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 5:18:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 5:10:11 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
I'd wait for bikesdirect to get their Ultegra Titanium disc road bikes
back in stock. They sell out very fast since most serious riders are
moving from carbon fiber to titanium now. Then get a CroMo disc fork.

Serious riders are switching from carbon to titanium? Didn't know that. But then I don't claim to be a genius in every topic on earth. Just a couple of them for me.

Chromoly disc fork to replace a carbon disc fork? Why?

Because CF disc forks explode, leading to huge loss of life -- second only to heart disease as a cause of death in the United States. Where have you been? Mars?

Really, though, I don't know where all these "serious riders" are. I've seen zero Ti disc bikes with CroMo forks.

True, most riders use the CF fork that comes with the Ti bicycle. The
suggestion to switch to a CroMo fork was to prevent injury should the CF
fork fail, as they are prone to do.

Why in the world don't titanium bicycles come with titanium forks?
I've got an aluminum bicycle with aluminum forks; I've got steel
bicycles with steel forks...

Is there something wrong with this wonder metal?

Titanium is a very difficult material to manipulate. the bends for the top of the fork are extremely hard to do. Looking at a titanium bike you will see few if any bends at all.

That just isn't true at all. Working titanium is very much like
working stainless steel, and I'll add that while serving in Uncle
Sam's air force I've done both.

And, in fact I've come across a number of sources for titanium forks
in several different styles.
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tit...cle-forks.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...-bicycle-forks

Page not found. Doesn't everything on that site suck anyway tho?

Titanium is a material, not magic. Engineers/designers who
ignore physics fail in titanium as they would have failed in
any other medium:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/hand14.html

(I have a wonderful Ti road bike with matching Ti fork, no
complaints)

Those pictures are pretty awful. How do you get braze to stick to titanium? I thought that titanium couldn't be brazed but required welding.

You're right about working/joining Ti.

It was a complete mess so farther down the page you can see
my replacement CrMo fabrication with forged steel ends.

My memory of the steel Japanese brands were exquisite quality but because of that a little more weight than other brands.