Old December 10th 03, 03:31 AM
DTJ

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:47:08 -0600,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

In article MY0Bb.462009$HS4.3605319@attbi_s01,
Brent P wrote:

Wiring without insulation is *NOT* safe. Wiring not in conduit is *NOT*
safe.

Eh? Most residential interior wiring isn't in conduit, it's Romex.

Well, I agree with Brent. Romex isn't really safe. Hanging a picture
can cause problems. Also, replacing romex is a bitch compared to
running new wires in conduit.

I've also seen wiring done with cloth insulation and no conduit or
outer sheathing, but only in a historic building (yes, it was even being
used).

The only homes I've ever heard of where the wiring *HAD* to be
redone were do to a design flaw of the initial system. Like cheap
builders of the 1970s using aluminium wire. But at least it was generally
in conduit so failure only ment no power.

Aluminum wire doesn't fail in the wire runs; it fails at the receptacles,
switches, etc.

Depends. I had wire fail in the conduit, because the window leaked,
and the insulation flaked off once the conduit rusted. Problem was
the leaky window, but the wire failed in the run.

Most cases are at the receptacle though.